We've come to understand that the stress involved with building is not actually stress. It's frustration.
We've learnt that our section is zoned for specific design wind zone. This means our roof trusses need to be specifically designed by an engineer taking into account the wind on the site. The frustrating part: Instead of taking 2-3 weeks to be completed, our working drawings have so far taken 5 weeks. And they still aren't finished yet.
We're learnt that our section is of cultural significance. This means that we need to consult with Māori about the earthworks we plan to complete on our site. The frustrating part: Instead of the Council granting our consent within 20 working days, it won't be granted until we've consulted with Māori we understand this will take about a month. The even more frustrating part: The Council only told us this on Working Day 23.
We've chosen the flooring for the house, which was very exciting and is making the build seem more 'real'. We were prompted to buy the flooring before the end of August to avoid missing out on the 40% discount offered. Only to find, 6 days later, a brochure in the mail advertising a 50% discount from the same carpet company. Frustrating!
On the bright side, we've chosen all of the colours for the house.
We can now picture what the house will look like, and just can't wait till the house is built. The frustrating thing is that all of the issues we've had this month have delayed the build itself. Which means we won't be in the house until mid-late March at best. Sigh.
Two answers. 1) It basically means that for some reason or another, our section has some historical significance to Māori. We think it's something to do with the Puketirotiro Peak Lookout that's nearby, because that's what's listed on the Council's District Plan as being culturally significant. I guess we'll find out more shortly.
2) Yes, when I was young, but it gave me nightmares so I haven't seen it since I was about 13 or so. Why?
We're in a similar (frustrating) situation, building with Jennian (who we love btw), but waiting for the developer to finish the subdivision (already 2 months behind). We've been told building consent should start by the end of this week, but like yourselves even if that goes well we are looking at Feb/March next year. Luckily our section is not culturally significant, although who knows what the recent earthquake means for our build!
Ugh, that must be frustrating. I bet this weather hasn't been helping much either. On the bright side, at least you hadn't started building your house before the earthquake hit. I imagine it would have fallen down with the force of the quake!
Good to hear you love building with Jennian. We also love building with Jennian. We have nothing but praise for them so far. They've been terrifically accommodating and easy-to-deal.